Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Yarn Tourism: Santa Monica

I went to Los Angeles this past weekend to see my brother get his PhD hood, very exciting!!! He's a very nice brother. He even doesn't mind supporting yarn tourism. I didn't want to impose too much, so after exhaustive research on Ravelry and the internets, I decided I had to go to Compatto Yarn Salon in Santa Monica. It was definitely a good pick.

We met the store mascot Gracie upon opening the front door. She was a large dog, I'm not good with breeds, so here's a picture. I know what you're thinking, "hey, aren't you terrified of dogs? or at the very least hate them because of their customary unpleasant fumes and odours.? I seem to recall you signing up for a riflery course in undergrad so as to be prepared for the day when they mated with aliens and tried to take over the world." Usually I would say yes. (Sorry guys, I'm a cat person...) But this dog was very chill, smelled delightfully fresh, didn't lick me, and I have no proof it is capable of pooping given that it did not do so in my presence. She even had a cool yarn-i-riffic collar.

There were lots of nice people in the store, the yarn was displayed in such an orderly fashion, and they even had snacks gosh darn it! I bought 2 skeins of this merino super wash hand dyed sock yarn from Pagewood Farm. The colorway is called Mississippi Mud and was dyed exclusively for Compatto. The exclusivity factor means I HAD to buy it and will suffer no buyer's remorse.

1 comment:

Christie Rowe said...

the yarn is very very pretty, but i prefer short-haired dogs.