Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Tane the Kiwi

My awesome friend in New Zealand sent me this guy who I love so much I had to share. I will include the literature from his tag.

"Kiwi are the unique nocturnal flightless bird found only in New Zealand. They have a long beak with nostrils at the end specifically designed for finding their food on the forest floor. There are six species of kiwi, but today they are considered an endangered species and are protected.
Traditionally kiwi feathers were used for making maori cloaks which are considered taonga (treasures) and they carry the spirits of the birds.
Tane is named after the maori god of th eforest - Tane. Ledgend says he persuaded kiwi to lose his bright colored feathers and take care of the forest floor. In return Kiwi would become the symbol of Aotearoa (New Zealand). Tane has been tattooed with traditional moko on his beak and legs."

No comments: