Saturday, August 21, 2010

Possum Peddler's Shawl

A good friend of mine brought me this yarn back from her post-doc in glamorous New Zealand.  It's a delightful Possum/Merino blend in vivid cranberry.  This yarn was so coveted and so prized, it took me well over a year and several attempts to find the perfect project.

I recently got my sticky mitts on Folk Shawls by Cheryl Oberle and found the perfect project.  The Wool Peddler's Shawl  looked like a simple lace I could easily accomplish without too much frogging and frustration, with the added bonus of a historical fun fact I can tell anybody who notices my shawl.  During the reign of good old Queen Victoria, wool peddlers would wear to market bright red shawls so they stood out from the crowd and were easily identifiable.  Cool.

Thanks Dr. Katie! 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is beautiful. I love the possum yarn I got when i was in New Zealand and that is a gorgeous colour.